One of the biggest worries you may have when living abroad for an extended period is your health. What do I do if I don’t feel well? Which doctor do I consult? Will he understand me; perhaps even speak my mother tongue? When do I need to go to hospital and how do I get there…

We cannot provide you with every detail and eventuality but in general the rule is that if you have a work- or residential permit for Germany, the German health system services are available to you.

First and foremost it’s important to find a family doctor whom you can trust (see list foreign speaking doctors). He/she will look after your health concerns and explain which items will be paid for by the health insurance and which by you personally etc.